Application Information for Prospective Graduate Students
Thank you for your interest in graduate study in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at UIC. We admit both M.S. and Ph.D. students. Applicants are considered and admitted for both fall and spring semesters. If you have any questions regarding the program, application/review process, or the completeness of your application, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies
We also encourage prospective students to contact individual faculty members
with questions regarding research opportunities.
January 15 for Fall Admission and July 15 for Spring Admission. Most financial aid decisions are made by early March for Fall Admission and by early September for Spring Admission. Earlier submission is encouraged. Please contact the Director of Graduate Studies for funding availability should you apply after the deadlines.
A B.A. or B.S. in geoscience, science, or engineering is strongly recommended, but students from other backgrounds may be considered for admission. A detailed list of requirements for the M.S. and Ph.D. are listed here
How to Apply:
Students applying to our program will follow the standard application process for the university. The application for graduate study should be completed online. The application fee ($70) can be paid online with a credit card at the time of your application submission.
Apply Now or Log in to your Application
Complete and submit the application and fee. After submitting the application, you will receive an email within 2-3 business days indicating that you can log back in to the application system to begin uploading materials.
Upload required EaES materials, academic credentials, and initate online requests for letters of recommendation. Checklist items will populate based upon our program requirements will display in your application record.
Note that all application information, including uploaded material, does not have to be completed at one time. View the system checklist as often as needed to see what materials have been successfully uploaded, and verified as received by the department.
A complete application includes the following:
- Personal Statement (upload) - This should be a 1-2 page document describing research experience and professional goals.
- Official Transcripts/Academic Documents in PDF format (upload) - Hard copies are required ONLY if an applicant is admitted.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (system generates request to recommender with instructions) - Letters must be written by professors or employers who can and should address the applicant’s academic and research ability. Inform recommenders that their letters must be on institutional letterhead and signed.
- GRE General Exam Scores (request that ETS send official score reports; codes are UIC - 1851 and EaES - 0502) - Official GRE scores are sometimes delayed. Please also upload a file of the score report in PDF, JPG, or another similar format.
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae (optional) - You may upload a résumé or CV if you would like to include it in your full application.
- TOEFL Exam Score (for international students only) - Have TOEFL send the score to UIC code – R1851.