Information for Prospective Graduate Students
Thank you for your interest in graduate study in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at UIC. We admit both M.S. and Ph.D. students. Applicants are considered and admitted for both fall and spring semesters. If you have any questions regarding the program, application/review process, or the completeness of your application, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies
We also encourage prospective students to contact individual faculty members
with questions regarding research opportunities. Deadlines:
January 15 for Fall Admission and July 15 for Spring Admission. Most financial aid decisions are made by early March for Fall Admission and by early September for Spring Admission. Earlier submittal is encouraged. Please contact the Director of Graduate Studies for funding availability should you apply after the deadlines. Requirements:
A B.A. or B.S. in geoscience, science, or engineering is required, but students from other backgrounds may be considered for admission. Click on the link for details.
How to Apply: The application is entirely online. Go to the UIC Admissions website and scroll down to 'Section 2 - All other applicants.' Choose either 'Domestic-degree-seeking' or 'International-degree-seeking'. Create a user id and password and enter the requested application information. Submit the information and pay the application fee. The system then will send further instructions via e-mail (typically in the next several business days) on using the application checklist to upload materials and enter the information to generate requests for recommendation letters.
Note that all application information, including uploaded material, does not have to be completed at one time. View the system checklist as often as needed to see what materials have been successfully uploaded, and verified as received by the department.
A complete application includes the following:
• Personal statement [upload]: This should be a 1-2 page document describing research experience and professional goals.
• Official transcripts/academic documents in PDF format [upload]: Do not send hard copies to UIC or the department. Hard copies are required ONLY if an applicant is admitted.
• 3 letters of recommendation [system generates request to recommender with instructions; recommender uploads to system]: Letters must be written by professors or employers who can and should address the applicant’s academic and research ability. Letters must be on institutional letterhead and signed.
• GRE general exam scores [request that ETS transmit official score reports to UIC; codes are UIC - 1851 and EaES - 0502]: Official GRE scores are sometimes delayed; please upload a file of the score report in PDF, JPG, or another similar format.
• 'Application for Graduate Appointment' Form [upload]: Exclude the personal statement from this form, and upload the statement separately.
• Resume or curriculum vitae/CV [upload]: optional
• TOEFL exam [international students; code – R1851]