Coordinator of Undergraduate Laboratories
Earth and Environmental Sciences
Building & Room:
950 S Halsted St.
Office Phone Voice:
I have had the pleasure of working at the University of Iowa’s Paleontology Repository, College of Nursing, and the Museum of Natural History. Most recently I designed and taught innovative science curriculum for the East Campus alternative high school program in Muscatine, Iowa. My career goal is to create accessible, authentic, community-focused and science-skill oriented experiences for all students, leading to an informed, constructive, and scientific-minded community.
- Falkena, L. (2016) Science & Human-Centered Design: Working together to create authentic learning. Iowa Association of Alternative Education Spring Meeting, April 2016, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA.
- Hanna, H. & Falkena, L. (2016) Changing labels. Iowa Association of School Board Convention, November 2016, Des Moines, Iowa, USA.
- Hanna, H. & Falkena, L. (2015) Human-Centered Design: In the classroom, PBL Summer Institute, June 2015, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA.
- Falkena, L. (2015) Human-Centered Design, PBL, & alternative Science: Hydroponic and horticulture integration, PBL Summer Institute, June 2015, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA.
- Falkena, L. (2009) Suitability of Sanidine-Hosted Melt Inclusions for Understanding Petrogenesis of Silicic Magmas: A case study from the Afro-Arabian flood volcanic province in Yemen. M.Sc. Thesis. University of Iowa.
- Pete, D., Falkena, L, Kent, A. (2009) Origin of Pb Isotope Variations in Hydrogenetic Fe-Mn Crusts from the Izu-Bonin Fore-Arc. Chemical Geology258: 288-298.
BA Geoscience & Religious Studies (2007) University of Iowa.
MSc Geoscience (2009) University of Iowa.
MAT Secondary Science Education (2012) University of Iowa.